Friday, August 22, 2008

My first Work Experience

Last February, I got my first job as a production worker at Dentek Oral Care, Inc. In my work place, there are different people with different attitude which for me It's kinda hard to deal with them at first because I came from another country and has been raised with different culture and language. We're different in so many ways like the type of food we eat and the way we speak. It's hard for me to understand them sometimes because they talk fast and some they mumble the words. Good thing, there was another Filipino who worked there too but unfortunately she's gone now. I was so glad that I have somebody to talk to because that time I barely opened my mouth...I'd say I was in culture shock. Anyway, One time my Filipino friend asked me to bring dried fish for our lunch, (dried fish is one of the favorite food of the Filipinos) and so I did bring it the following day. When I started opening my lunch box the people started complaining about it because they can smell something fishy...and then when I told them, it's my food that stinky. So, we went outside and ate there. It's so funny for me because of my co-worker's reactions some they made fun like they come to us and look the fish's eyes...most of them they said they're scared because the fish's eye is stickin' out...lol....We told them it's already dead and it wont hurt you except for the bones if you are not careful...but still they didn't like it. My friend told me they're so rude because how they acted. But for me, I just ignore them. And that was the last time I brought dried fish at work because I dont want them to hate me because of that.(hehhehe)
For almost six months of working, there are lots of trials that I've encountered but still Im so glad that I've been through all that because that made me strong and a better person. I gained good friends and learned so many things. I've learned to deal with the people pretty good, and I am more confident in speaking english now than before. For me, It's challenging and exciting to be with different people with different culture and language....So, for all the people out there like me don't be discouraged easily...take them as part of the adjusting period especially when you are in the new environment.

No comments: